CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday 9 June 2008

The Daily Telegraph: Keisha Castle-Hughes defends her teen pregnancy

March 10, 2008 12:00am

BECOMING the poster girl for teenage pregnancy was never on Keisha Castle-Hughes' "to do" list but then again neither was going down in history as the youngest female ever nominated for the best actress Oscar.

Stepping out in Sydney for the Australian premiere of Hey Hey It's Esther Blueburger yesterday, the young celebrity mum, 17, defended her position as a role model for girls after falling pregnant at 16.

"I have a job to do and there are other things that come with it that you don't sign up for," Castle-Hughes told film writer Erin McWhirter at the Westfield Bondi Junction screening.

"I respect other people's opinions and decisions and I hope that they respect mine."

The Whale Rider actress, who was born in Western Australia and moved to New Zealand at four, admitted she was shocked at the public backlash she received over her pregnancy.

Now, happily playing mum to her 11-month-old daughter Felicity Amore with long-term boyfriend Bradley Hull, the actress says no amount of controversy could spoil her role as a mum.

"It's amazing I have learned so much and I am so much happier. The happiest I have ever been.

"I can't even imagine I existed before becoming a mother," Castle-Hughes said.

In Hey Hey It's Esther Blueburger, Castle-Hughes plays effortlessly cool girl Sunni opposite big screen newcomer Danielle Catanzariti in the title role - a teenager on the quest to fit in.

0 comments: